Due to the fast pace of day to day life and the high levels of stress that accompany it, people often seek advice from others to help them overcome certain challenges or make a smart decision. Naturally in recent years, there has been rise of individuals looking to work as a life coach. If you are looking to enter this industry, we believe that a good first step in becoming a life coach is to take a course to gain the required knowledge and skills to start your career.
You might be wondering “ well what can a life coaching course offer me?”. This CPD article aims to offer practical advice on what you can get out of a life coaching course, as well as what exactly a life coach is and where to find the best current life coaching courses.
What is life coaching?
Life coaching is a profession where the coaches advise people on how they can make themselves happier through changes in their lifestyle, it has been popularised by celebrities since the 90s. Life coaches, otherwise known as ‘Lifestyle gurus’ offer advice to individuals looking to overcome certain challenges in their life.
What can a life coaching course offer you?
There are currently an abundance of life coaching courses available around the world. Various professionals offer life coaching courses and it can be hard to distinguish which one is most suitable for you. We would advise looking at what topics are going to be covered and see which ones suit your requirements the most. We have listed a few common topics that would typically be involved on a life coaching course.
- How and why people benefit from life coaching and what the process actually involves
- How you can choose to specialise in different types of life coaching depending on your interest and inclination of important qualities
- The basics and fundamentals of life coaching and how core belief systems direct our thinking and decision-making processes
- How to use powerful questioning skills to build trust and rapport with your clients
- How to redirect your clients’ thinking and help them set plans of action in order to achieve value-based goals
- How to attract your first clients and how to profile target and prospective customers for your life coaching business
Due to there being a wide range of life coaching courses available, you might find it difficult to distinguish what courses are more beneficial to you than others. We would recommend looking for courses that are delivered by an accredited or recognised provider as it will give you more of an assurance that it is a high quality learning experience. If you look to take a course that hasn’t been approved by an independent body, then we would advise looking at your teacher’s past qualifications within social sciences to distinguish further understanding of the topic.