Overview of the Sports Sector
According to SportEngland.org the contribution of the sport industry to the economy reached £20.3 billion in 2010. This represents 1.9% of the total English economy, thus placing the sport sector up in the top 15 industry sectors above motor vehicles, telecoms services, legal services, accounting, publishing, advertising and utilities. Sport employment remains a crucial component of the UK economy, supporting over 450,000 jobs, around 2.3% of all UK employment.
The Sport and Recreation Alliance (SRA) is the umbrella organisation for the governing and representative bodies of sport and recreation in the UK and includes 320 members such as the Rugby Football Union, The FA, British Racing, UK Athletics and British Rowing. The SRA explains that in 2014 there were over 2 million adults in the UK who volunteered at least 1 hour per week to the sports sector. This would cost the UK an estimated £2.7 billion a year to employ fulltime workers to undertake the work completed. About 47% of the sports industry is employed part-time, compared to 27% of the whole UK workforce (SkillsActive, 2010).
CPD in the Sports Sector
The growth of sport as an industry in the UK will automatically create an increase in the requirements for well-qualified sport professionals and graduates looking to build a career in this modern, fast-paced and international-reaching industry. The Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA) considers its remit includes the encouragement of Continuing Professional Development for its members. Chartered & Fellow members must complete compulsory CPD as a fundamental obligation of membership.
The Sports Therapy Organisation requires members to complete 50 hours of CPD every year as part of membership, of which 6 hours of CPD can be obtained through research and a maximum of 4 CPD hours in individual study. It is a requirement that at least 50% of CPD must be completed in a formal learning environment.
- The Sport and Recreation Alliance
- Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA)
- British Association of Sport and Exercises Sciences
- The Sporting Goods Industry Association
- Federation of Sports and Play Associations
- Sports and Fitness Equipment Associations
- British Association of Snow Sport Instructors
- National Register of Personal Trainers
- British Activity Providers Association
- Institute of Outdoor Learning
- British Dietetic Association
- English Institute of Sport
- Scottish Institute of Sport
- Sports Therapy Organisation
- Institute of Sport and Remedial Massage
- Sports Massage Association
- Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Sports Medicine
- Society of Sports Therapy
- The British Association of Sports Rehabilitators & Trainers
Browse CPD Sport Training Providers
CPD Sport Courses and Workshops
British Council for Chinese Martial Arts - BCCMA
CPD Sport Online & eLearning
Gary Ward PT T/A Anatomy in Motion
High Speed Training
High Speed Training