Overview of the Marine Industry
The UK Marine industry is typically split into four key sectors: commercial, offshore renewables, naval and leisure, but also encompasses a number of smaller sectors. According to the Marine Industries Alliance the combined marine sector includes over 5000 businesses, generating approximately £10billion of turnover and employs over 90,000 people in the UK.
CPD in the Marine Industry
Continuing Professional Development is defined by The Nautical Institute as, “The process that enables maritime professionals to take control of their own learning and development by carrying out activities that ensure they are competent and successful throughout their career, both at sea and ashore”. The Nautical Institute says that Continuing Professional Development has always been a central responsibility of the Institute, and remains one of the most important reasons for membership.
The Institute of Marine Engineering, Science and Technology (IMarEST) is the international membership body for marine professionals that brings together marine engineers, marine scientists and marine technologists into one international multi-disciplinary professional body. The IMarEST promotes “the scientific development of marine engineering, science and technology, providing opportunities for the exchange of ideas and practices and upholding the status, standards and expertise of marine professionals worldwide.” CPD is a fundamental element to IMarEST and members are required to complete CPD or risk being removed from membership.
The International Institute of Marine Surveying (IIMS) promotes the professionalism, recognition and training of marine surveyors worldwide. Members of the IMMS are required to complete CPD as part of membership, and must achieve a minimum of twenty four points accrued over a fixed three year period.
- British Marine Federation
- Society of Maritime Industries
- Maritime Industries Leadership Council
- Association of British Offshore Industries (ABOI)
- International Institute of Marine Surveying (IIMS)
- Institute of Marine Engineering, Science & Technology (IMarEST)
- UK Naval Engineering Science and Technology
- Association of Marine Scientific Industries (AMSI)
- British Maritime Equipment Association (BMEA)
- British Marine Aggregate Producers Association
- Royal Institute of Naval Architects (RINA)
- Shipbuilders and Shiprepairers Association
- Royal Institute of Navigation (RIN)
- UK Marine Industries Alliance
- British Ports Association
- Engineering Council
- Nautical Institute
- Science Council
- Renewable UK
- Subsea UK
Browse CPD Marine Training Providers
CPD Marine Courses and Workshops
Natural Cement Distribution Ltd
Eland Cables Ltd
CPD Marine Online & eLearning
RelyOn Nutec Digital