Overview in the Social Care Sector
The social care sector covers professions that support people with issues related to physical and mental health or those that are related to general lifestyle-related. Social care is often separated into child care and adult care services. Adult social care is the fastest growing part of the sector and it is likely to continue to be so, with an ever ageing population.
The social care sector helps approximately 2.3 million adults in the UK and employs just over 1.8 million people, which is around 6% of the total UK workforce. According to Skills for Care, there are an estimated 17,300 organisations working within the sector, employing more women than men; this accounts for around one in ten of all female workers within the UK.
CPD in the Social Care Sector
Keeping up to date with industry changes is vital for a successful career, and it is highly recommended that an individual should be participating in CPD to maintain their competence and expertise. Career opportunities in social care span across the medical and healthcare sectors, and can include a variety of roles such as health & occupational therapists, ambulance & emergency care services, healthcare sciences & research, patient care, healthcare administration and management, medicine and medical equipment, counselling, midwifery, nursing and nutrition amongst numerous others.
The Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC) requires all members to complete annual CPD, which must be a mixture of different types of learning. CPD must be relevant to work activities and should aim to improve the quality and standards.
The largest employer in the social care environment is the NHS, with over 1.7 million employees, but it is estimated that approximately a quarter of all individuals work for independent social care organisations, including care homes, hospices, community healthcare providers, hospitals and even domestic dwellings.
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
- Care Quality Commission
- Social Care Institute for Excellence
- Skills for Care
- General Social Care Council
- British Association of Art Therapists
- British Association of Dramatherapists
- British Association for Music Therapy
- The Society of Chiropodists & Podiatrists
- The British Chiropody and Podiatry Association
- The Institute of Chiropodists and Podiatrists
- The Alliance of Private Sector Chiropody and Podiatry Practitioners
- Association of Clinical Scientists (ACS)
- British Dietetic Association
- British Society of Hearing Aid Audiologists (BSHAA)
- British Association of Occupational Therapists
- British & Irish Orthoptic Society (BIOS)
- British Association of Prosthetists & Orthotists
- Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists
- British Association of Social Workers
- The College of Social Work
Stay in the loop with what's happening in the CPD Social Care industry
Browse CPD Social Care Training Providers
CPD Social Care Courses and Workshops
Agora Business Publications
The Care Leaders
CPD Social Care Online & eLearning