Massage therapists manipulate muscles and other soft tissues in the body to relieve pain, reduce stress and improve general well-being. In order to maintain and enhance their professionalism, massage therapists are increasingly required to ensure that they update their skills and knowledge through ongoing Continuing Professional Development (CPD). This article will provide a brief overview of CPD for therapists, the professional bodies within the industry, as well outline the CPD requirements.
Professional development for Massage Therapists
As a massage therapist, you will provide massage techniques and health and wellness services for your clients to treat a wide range of illnesses and issues. Some could need rehabilitation following a sports injury, while other clients may help to manage a long-term health condition. Massage therapy is typically used independently or in conjunction with other treatments and is a complementary therapy to conventional medicine.
The intention of Continuing Professionals Development, or CPD, is for therapists to improve the quality of their current or future work, to keep in touch with current practice and develop their education and to expand treatment range and expertise. Engagement in ongoing professional development enables therapists to demonstrate their commitment to keeping up to date with new knowledge and developments in their industry whilst ensuring safe and effective practice.
CPD offers accountability for an individual’s own development at all stages of their professional life as well as demonstrating a commitment to best practice which is an essential concept with regard to protection of the public. Ultimately, effective CPD for therapists should be used to benefit their service users, whether that is the public or other healthcare professionals. Benefits for both Patients and Therapists can include:
Benefits for Patients:
- Improvement in the quality of care provided to patients
- Reassurance that the therapist is up to date with new techniques
- Improved patient confidence in the therapist’s abilities
Benefits for You:
- An opportunity to improve your medical knowledge and career
- Improved relationship with professional groups and other massage therapists
- Greater awareness of developments in the field of medicine & message therapy
- Ensure that you maintain and enhance the knowledge and skills that you need to provide a professional service to your clients
- Ensure that you and your knowledge stay relevant and up to date. In the field of Complementary Medicine changes occur very quickly
- Assist you in advancing your career and learning new techniques
- Assist you in being able to support clients with specific complex conditions such as Cancer, Sub Fertility, during Pregnancy etc…
- Give you support as a therapist long after you have left your school or college of learning
- Increase your confidence as a therapist
All registered therapists are required to keep their skills and knowledge up-to-date through Continuing Professional Development (CPD). This can either be in the form of work-based learning, formal and educational activities or self-directed activities. Regardless of the nature of the activity chosen there must be clear learning objectives related to an individual’s professional role and their development as a massage therapist.